Classified as an historic monument since 1944, Miolans Castle stands at an altitude of 550 meters on a rocky cliff overlooking the Combe de Savoie.
The earliest castle stood on the site of the Saint-Pierre Tower, a primitive dungeon built by the lords of Miolans in the l2th century. In the late 14th century, Jean de Miolans began expanding the castle, and Anthelme IV modified it in the l5th century to keep step with developments in artillery. These improvements solidified the power and autonomy of this family not only in Savoy but also in Dauphiné and Viennois. When the dynasty died out in 1523, the castle passed into the hands of Duke Charles III of Savoy, but by then had become too outdated for military purposes. From 1564 to 1792, Miolans Castle served as a state run prison. The Marquis de Sade was one of its most famous prisoners. The Guiter family, owners of the monument since 1869, has restored the castle and opened it to the public.